Understanding Water Types
When your home or business has a water damage it is critical to understand what type of water you are dealing with to ensure proper clean up. There are 3 types of water.
- Clean Water is from broken pipes or other water sources or rainwater.
- Gray Water which is slightly contaminated water. Clean water becomes gray water when it is left untreated allowing bacteria and other contaminants to begin growing which makes it hazardous.
- Black Water is highly contaminated and is filled with fungi, bacteria, chemicals etc...Black water is typically caused by sewage or any type of natural disaster. Black water should always be handled by the trained professionals of SERVPRO of East Central Morris County.
Damage from Clean Water
- Shut off water source if possible
- Turn off circuit breakers only if there is safe access to the breaker & do not enter rooms with standing water
- Remove as much excess water as possible
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery on blocks
- Remove any items that are sensitive to moisture
- Do not leave any books, magazines or colored items on the floor because they can cause staining.
- Do not use your household vacuum to remove water
- If ceiling is wet do not turn on any fixtures.
Damage From Contaminated Water
- Avoid all Contact with sewage and items contaminated by the sewage
- Do not walk through the contaminated are as to prevent spreading it to the unaffected areas
- Shut off your HVAC and do not use fans.
If you have more questions or have a water issue call us today 973-887-9100 or email us SERVPRO9120@gmail.com